PMU Aftercare 101
There is a lot of confusion around the proper aftercare steps for PMU. Our most frequently asked questions always revolve around aftercare instructions, wet V.S. dry healing, which microblading products are best, and the day-by-day healing process itself.
After 18 years in the industry, I’ve tried just about every aftercare process and procedure that there is: wet healing, dry healing, washing, no washing, A & D ointment, Bepanthen, Vaseline and lots of brands and formulations. Some things were good and some things were not so good. If you follow the right aftercare procedure, you will ensure a speedy recovery, client comfort, and prevent complications such as infection.
Today, I’m going to share my secret recipe for a speedy recovery- whether it’s microblading or machine, eyes, eyebrows, or lips. These tips refer to healing the skin in general so you can follow them for any type of PMU wound care. PMU creates a wound in the skin, so you need to treat it like a wound and keep it clean and prevent excessive stress on the healing area.
Tina’s Aftercare Instructions
I love a good acronym so here’s one to help you out, just think of A - W - M which stands for Absorb, Wash, and Moisturize!
Absorb (Day of)
- After the procedure, gently blot the area with clean tissue to absorb excess lymph fluid.
- Do this every 5 minutes until the oozing has stopped.
- Removing this fluid prevents the hardening of the lymphatic fluids.
Wash (Days 1-7)
- Wash daily to remove bacteria, build-up of product and oils, and dead skin. (Don't worry, THIS DOES NOT REMOVE THE PIGMENT!)
- Gently wash the area each morning and night with water and gentle soap or an unscented cleanser like Dial Soap, Cetaphil, or baby shampoo. With a very light touch, use your fingertips to gently cleanse the area.
- Rub the area in a smooth motion for 10 seconds and rinse with water ensuring that all soap is rinsed away.
- To dry, gently pat with a clean tissue. DO NOT use any cleansing products containing acids (glycolic, lactic, or AHA), or exfoliants.
Moisturize and hydrate (Days 1-7)
- Apply a tiny, rice grain amount of Tina Davies Aftercare 3 times a day with a cotton swab and spread it across the treated area.
- Be sure not to over-apply, as this will suffocate your skin and delay healing. The product should be barely noticeable on the skin.
- NEVER put the product on a wet or damp tattoo.
AWM should have you covered, but here are some extra tips to help with a smooth and easy recovery:
- Use a fresh pillowcase while you sleep.
- Let any scabbing or dry skin naturally exfoliate away. Picking can cause scarring or loss of color.
- No facials, botox, chemical treatments or microdermabrasion for 4 weeks.
- Avoid hot, sweaty exercise for one week.
- Avoid direct sun exposure or tanning for 4 weeks after the procedure. Wear a hat when outdoors.
- Avoid long, hot showers for the first 10 days.
- Avoid sleeping on your face for the first 10 days.
- Avoid face-down swimming, lakes, and hot tubs for the first 10 days,
- Avoid topical makeup and sunscreen on the area.
- DO NOT rub, pick, or scratch the treated area.
Important Instructions for Showering
- Limit your showers to 5 minutes so that you do not create too much steam. Keep your face/procedure area out of the water while you wash your body, then, at the end of your shower, wash your hair.
- Your face should only be getting wet only at the end of the shower.
- Avoid excessive rinsing and hot water on the treated area.
Wet V.S. Dry Healing
This is where things get misconstrued. Many artists tell their clients not to wash the area for the entire healing time. Clients mistake this for a “dry healing method” in actuality, this is what the different healing methods are:
The wet healing method - applying a product to the area after washing the area
The dry healing method - not applying any product to the area after washing the area.
But, what method actually promotes the best healing?
The wet method of daily washing to reduce the buildup of bacteria and dead skin coupled with the application of an aftercare product allows the skin to heal fastest so your beautiful artwork can show thru.
Applying Tina Davies Aftercare will help to produce the proper cells to regenerate the surrounding tissues. It can also help the production of collagen, a protein that is essential for the proper healing and regeneration of damaged tissue. The method consists of daily cleansing of the injured skin to prevent bacterial buildup, as well as the application of a healing ointment.
Why Tina Davies Aftercare product?
- It’s antibacterial and antimicrobial
- It helps to heal FAST - Nanosilver particles help to increase both the rate and effectiveness of the healing process.
- It soothes and cools the skin - Making the skin soft, this gel is an incredible hydrater that relieves pain and increases comfort.
- It’s non-toxic - The ingredients are 24 PPM Proprietary Silver Solution (purified water, nano-silver at .01 microns), TEA, and Carbomer.
- It’s an FDA-approved formula that is free of parabens and drying agents, such as alcohol.
- It helps the skin breathe as well as protect, so you don’t have to worry about it suffocating the skin.
- It’s safe to use, even when the packet is opened -Some aftercare ointments can spoil once the product is oxidized, but this product can be used for up to 3 and a half years
- It has SO many uses - Not only can you use this gel for PMU, but you can also use it for minor burns and wounds such as Fibroblast, as aftercare for a body tattoo, any skin irritations, as an acne treatment, as an anti-wrinkle treatment, and even as a makeup base!
Click here to read the FULL Tina Davies Aftercare Product Overview
Instructions for use:
- Blot the treated area with a tissue for the first hour to remove the lymph fluid.
- Apply a very thin layer of the product with a cotton swab 3 times a day for 3 days.
- Using the fingertips, gently wash the area with a non-scented soap or cleanser that your skin is already familiar with, morning and night, for 7 days.
- Avoid washcloths and scratching or picking at the tattoo during the healing process.
- Avoid hot tubs, steam rooms, public pools, sweaty exercise, or submerging the tattoo in water for the first 10 days.
- Avoid direct sunlight or tanning beds for 2 weeks after the tattoo.
- Avoid putting makeup on the area for the first week.
- Avoid facials, chemical peels, or microdermabrasion for 4 weeks.
Remember, aftercare is just part of the equation to successful results, but it is a very important part of the process as client skin conditions, technique, and quality pigments are the other components of a successful outcome. Don’t be discouraged though; PMU is an art form and has a very long learning curve so naturally, it will take time to master as you hone your skills and knowledge. If you are still struggling with your microblading results, check out my blog post on Proper Technique HERE
Tina Davies Aftercare For Other Wounds
From Anita Del Ciotto Abramo - Cosmetic Tattooing Ottawa
"I wanted to share something with you all that I think is freaking amazing. My youngest daughter Jasmina developed a contact dermatitis on her eyelids . I tried a few things but nothing worked really and they remained itchy. As a mom you know how helpless you feel when you can’t figure out what’s going wrong with your cubs. I went out to the pharmacy and got 1% cortisone and tried that...but then I decided to just try something else. I was with a colleague over the weekend and she told me that one of her employees had a cold sore and had forgotten to bring her medication so she applied Tina Davies aftercare on it and in one day it was gone (Ciara Ramsden). Below are the results on my daughter were less the 24 hrs! I couldn’t believe it!!! I only applied a few times and the next morning there was no redness in sight and her eyelids were no longer inflamed. I’ll be buying a case from now on."
From Terry Lively - House of Art Permanent Makeup & Tattooing
“I used it to heal my fibroblast treatment I had done in New York. I loved it. Cooling and soothing. Reminded me of applying aloe vera gel to a sunburn when I was young, but without the stickiness.”
I bought your Aftercare product to use after my touch up. I had my touch up today and took off the ointment that was applied and put your ointment on. It’s very cooling and pain relieving. I also used it on the outside of my daughter’s belly button piercing. It looked as though some skin may have rubbed raw from the high rise pants we wear now. With one application and within two days that raw area was healed! I’m a nurse and have seen a lot of wounds and silver is a magical healer that wound care and burn unit nurses use on patients. I’m so thankful you make this available to the public!